My research interests are in computer science education and software engineering - specifically software engineering skill transfer. I'm a affiliated with the Developer Liberation Front research group and I'm co-advising Brittany Johnson on her Ph.D.
I am the first Teaching Associate Professor with the Department of Computer Science. I am a three time graduate of the department, and received my Ph.D. in August of 2009 as part of the RealSearch Group. I received the NC State University Outstanding Teacher Award and the Alumni Association Outstanding Teacher Award as a representative of the College of Engineering in Spring 2015. I am a member of the Academy of Outstanding Teachers at NC State. I teach several of the core courses in software engineering and programming languages and I am the faculty co-advisor for the student chapter of ACM/AITP. My research interests are in computer science education and software engineering. As a graduate student, I was a three-time recipient of the IBM Ph.D. Fellowship.
CV/ResumeLink to CV
PhD 1977 Mathematics, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
MS 1975 Mathematics, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
BS 1973 Mathematics, Case Western Reserve University
- 2015 Donald Biggar Willett Faculty Scholar, College of Engineering at Illinois
- 2014 Google Faculty Research Award
- 2014-2017 Academic Advisory Committee Member, School of Computer Science and Technology, Shandong University, China
- 2014 ECOOP 2009 Paper being the 4th Most Cited ECOOP Paper among the Past Five Years of ECOOP papers, according to Google Scholar Metrics (Snapshot Taken in 2014)
- 2013 IEEE Software Best Software Engineering in Practice (SEIP) Paper Award at ICSE 2013
- 2013 Microsoft Research Award